Address: Matrosskaya str., 23
Year of construction: 1841
The background of this building begins in 1643, when the church was founded on the territory of Uspenskiy Monastery, built by Konstantin Brankovyan, governor of Wallachia. That church survived the battle between the Tatars led by Maksud-Girey, descendant of Genghis Khan and the Suvorov troops, but did not survive to this day.
In 1841 the existed church was built on the place of the previous one. It was made from stone, rectangular in plan with a semicircular apse, four-pillar, single-dome. The windows were framed by stone platbands. Semicircular pediments are under the north and south entrances. The openings of the windows and doors are lancet, which distinguished the buildings of the Armenian-Gregorian churches, in the style of which this church was built.
At the end of the 19th century the monastery and the church became subordinate to the Russian Orthodox Synod. At that time stone cells were also built, they have survived to the present day and located in the western part of the church.
In 1856 the Romanian government closed both monasteries (Uspenskiy and Nickolaevskiy), but they were restored and merged into one Fortress Monastery after the accession of Bessarabia to Russia in 1878.
In 1946 the monastery was closed; border fences were erected near the church from the Danube.
In 1947 the church was examined by the commission for architecture under the Council of Ministers of the USSR. As a result, the church was included in the list of monuments of architecture of republican significance, as well as in the illustrated directory “Monuments of urban planning and architecture of the USSR”.
In 1957 by decision of the Izmail City Executive Committee a security zone was assigned to the church, but this did not save the temple from almost total destruction and plunder.
In the 90s the restoration of historical and architectural monuments in the fortress began, the Directorate of the Park-Museum “Fortress” was created.
On April 25, 1995, the Odessa Regional Council of Deputies adopted a decision about transfer of this church to the respective paraphies of the Orthodox Church and, as a result, it was transferred to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate.
On September 25, 2002, the parishes of this church and the neighboring Nikolaevskay Church were transformed into St. Nicholas Monastery with the blessing of His Eminence Agathangel, Metropolitan of Odessa and Izmail.
Today the church is restored and regularly accepts parishioners.