Address: 20 Suvorov Ave.
Date of construction: 1841
One of the oldest and most beautiful buildings of Izmail is located on Suvorov Avenue, 20.
In several sources, the date of the appearance of this building unusual for local architecture is called 1841.
It was built as the Izmail city government – the prototype of today’s executive committee of the City Council. The Communal Council met in this building and the offices of the mayors were located here.
The features of its architecture, the abundance of numerous exterior details, giving the building a solemnity, splendor, harmony and beauty, testified to the focus of city power.
In the period from 1918 to 1940 and from 1941 to 1944 the city authorities of the Romanian administration were in the building. The mayor worked here.
Initially the central part of the city council was two-story and its right and left wings were one-story. Then by 1952 both wings were built up and the building became two-story throughout its length. However, by that time the Akroters, spiers and high reliefs on the upper pediment, had disappeared, as a result of which the attic-decorative rectangular wall above the cornice of the building had lost its attractiveness. According to one version, this happened as a result of an earthquake in the fall of 1940.
With the advent of Soviet power after the war the building was given to the regional party. During this period, the richly decorated pediment, which was located in the center, almost completely disappeared from the facade. In general, changes in the pores of the USSR were characterized by a simplification of architectural forms. Then a watch appeared here, which for the most part didn’t work.
After the liquidation of the region in 1954, the Izmail city committee of the party and the executive committee of the city council were located in the building. During the years of their work, a tribune was set up here, before which columns of demonstrators marched on May and October holidays.
In 1985, the Palace of Pioneers was transferred here, the former building of which was in disrepair.
In 2016, the building was restored, now there is a Center for extracurricular activities and children’s creativity.