Address – Avraamovskaya str., 42
Year of construction – 1926.
Number of storeys – 1.
It is located on Avraamovskaya Street, named after the Izmail city mayor of the early twentieth century, John Avraamov.
The date of foundation in the Romanian period is known from the documents (April 15, 1926), but there is no information about the first owner.
It is known that in the mid-30s the building was bought by the Izmail mayor’s office (city council). So, the city authorities responded to the request of the Association of Teachers of the Southern Bessarabia to create a community center in which teachers could engage in artistic creation and spend their leisure time meaningfully. Reconstruction of the building was carried out at the expense of the city budget, as well as voluntary donations from the teacher community in the region. Izmail mayor donated personal funds for the construction.
A post-war document has been preserved – the teachers’s appeal to the city leadership on the return of the building to them – see the next photo.
Teachers of the city used this building as a small hotel for visiting teachers, carried out ongoing repairs.
The mansion was equipped with an auditorium for mass events, rooms for creative work, billiards, a buffet. A local library had a large funds of fiction and special literature in Romanian (more than 17 thousand unique publications).
The building was constructed in a style typical of the Romanian period of the history of our city. The front part is unplastered brickwork, decorated with curly details below the pediment and around the solid windows.
The exterior from the side of Avraamovskaya street (in the 1930s it had the name of the Romanian monarch Ferdinand I) is decorated with a bay window, which is located to the right of the main entrance.
It is a richly decorated pediment above. However, initially there was two pediments: the second (in the photo on the left) was located on the side of modern Grecheskaya str. It is not preserved.
Today, just a little resembles its rather long history in the interior of the mansion. Just a couple of decades ago the interior of the building was decorated with seven tiled stoves. Today nothing is left of them either.
In 1940 it was renamed the Teacher’s House, where the first teacher meetings began to be held.
Until 1945, the building shared a living space for the border guards.
For ten years – from 1946 to 1956. – The Suvorov Museum was located here.
On the basis of the institution courses began in typewriting and paperwork, art knitting, cutting and sewing, hairdressing, a ballet studio, as well as hobby groups: dance, drama, puppet theater, orchestra of power tools.
Iraida Wozniak is the first director about whom the information was saved. Galina Vetrova headed the Teacher’s House for nineteen years, then Tatyana Katina, Tatyana Romanenko.
For 15 years, from 1998 to 2013, Klavdia Arseni led the Teacher’s House. The club of veterans of pedagogical work “Eternal Youth” was created (curator – cultural organizer Olga Levashova) thanks to her initiative.
Over time, a club of needlewomen “Fantasia”, an association of lovers of the song “Lira”, a photo club “Panorama 365”, a club of a healthy lifestyle “Hadu” opened in the Teacher’s House. The ensembles “Kobzarska Duma” (director – Ivan Popazov), “Melodies of the Danube” (director – Tatyana Kratko) launched their creative activities. Participants of the Kaleidoscope theater studio, led by the artistic director of the Teacher’s House, Irina Makukhina, are pleased with their productions. For more than 20 years, Marina Glinka has been teaching and sewing courses. The Club of Young Teachers gathers beginner educators in its ranks. The education department methodologists share their experience with them, give methodological recommendations, and the staff of the Teacher’s House conducts trainings and entertainment programs.
The walls of this institution host city-wide contests “Teacher of the Year”, “Nadiya Odeshchini”, a festival-competition of amateur performances among teachers.
Today the Izmail teacher’s house is the only such institution in the education system of Odessa region.