Address: Avraamovskaya str., 102
Year Built: 1936
The building was used for school needs almost from the very commissioning.
The exception is 1941-1944, when military operations were taking place in our region.
According to archival documents the foundation of the future school was laid in 1936. The Romanian administration of Izmail intended to build a four-year primary school. However, these plans were delayed.
Construction continued only in 1940 when Bessarabia was included in Soviet Ukraine. Before the war, walls were erected and the building was covered with a roof.
In 1944, one of the military hospitals was located here for a short time (from September to October).
In accordance with the decision of the Izmail Oblast Executive Committee, since 1945, an incomplete (seven-grade) secondary school has been opened in the building, in which 249 pupils studied. The first director of the school was Ekaterina Martsul.
According to Izmail old-timers, a salt shop was located in the old building that remained in the courtyard of the school in the Romanian period. Salt was stored in a well-ventilated cellar, which was partially preserved. Former school head Yuri Golovlev recalled that under the school building there really was a large basement, which was later filled with construction waste.
The architecture of the building is simple and functional. Stacking masonry is the main feature of its exterior. The rectangular shapes of the exterior decor give the building a severity and purity of lines. Another feature of its architecture is the shape of the roof, which gradually falls over the ledges.
The first graduation of the school was in 1954. The school year 1961-1962 became significant for the school, when it was awarded the status of a specialized school with in-depth study of the German language. The teaching staff has established close ties with German educational institutions.
At present, here is the second educational building of the school #16, where high school students are engaged.