Address: 40 Suvorov Ave.
Year of construction: 1st half of the 19th century.
This building with columns at 40 Suvorov Ave. on the corner with Seminarskaya Street (formerly Vatutina str.) is called in official documents as “house with benches”. It’s an example of the common type of buildings in Izmail with characteristic white columns. This is one of the distinctive features of the development of cities in the south of the Russian Empire in the 19th – early 20th centuries.
All similar buildings in our city are classified as historical and architectural monuments of local importance, and the first half of the 19th century appears as the period of construction. During the construction of these houses, the local climate with hot summers was taken into account. Awnings over the central entrances allowed the rooms to save relative coolness.
At the end of the 19th century a carriage office and a horse yard placed here. They occupied half a block along Suvorov Ave. The owner of the office lived in the part facing the Gogolya str. However, the carriage office worked here only about 10 years.
A brick warehouse for fodder (feed for horses) was built near the owner’s office on Gogolya Str. and a memorial brick was laid during construction. The construction date “1879” was burned out on the wall by the workers of the brick factory. Brick and a warehouse with wrought-iron grates, shutters and doors are still existed.
However, the carriage office did not work too long – only about 10 years, because some time after the abolition of serfdom in 1861 the former serfs gradually began to adapt to new conditions – new coachmen and cabmen significantly increased the competition on the market.
In order to avoid complete bankruptcy the owner of the carriage office sold horses, property and the estate itself and from 1900 already the new owner began to use the horse yard as a caravanserai in the form of a guarded parking lot. He installed a printing press in one of the rooms, a guillotine knife for cutting paper bags and typesetting cash desks of letters. That’s how a private printing house was created in Izmail.
By 1905, it flourished and could print even two-tone texts, which became known from revolutionary posters in two-tone version found in the attic of one of the buildings.
In 1944, with the retreat of the troops stationed here, the printing manufacturer also left Izmail. The printing house and the estate were nationalized, a communal printing house worked here until recently. The mansion also housed offices of newspapers “Sovetskiy Izmail”, “Izmail’s Interlocutor”.
Today, the former carriage office is empty, the building is for sale.