Address: 53 Suvorov Ave.
Year of construction: presumably the first half of the XIX century
This is a monument of urban planning and architecture of local importance. According to the list of such monuments approved by the Odessa Regional Executive Committee in the late 1980s, there was a shopping row, as indirectly indicated by the basement under the building, the door to which now leads from Suvorova Avenue.
There was a four-year theological seminary seminary “Bishop Melchisedek” (founded in 1857) in this building. The number of the students reached 200. Young people of all ranks, graduated from the full course of secular schools were accepted into the seminary. From the seminary, the pupils entered the seven-year Jassian seminary for the full completion of the course. Initially, the seminary was supported by candle sell income from churches. After the establishment of the Izmail bishopric it was supported by the treasury. Until 1873, the program of the seminary was the same as that of the classical gymnasium, while theological sciences were still taught.
Among the most famous of her students were the Bulgarian poet and revolutionary Hristo Botev. It is believed that he worked here and a memorial plaque was placed on the building in memory of that. The future Prime Minister and Marshal of Romania, Alexander Averescu, studied here. In 1866-1870, the Izmail citizen Gabriel Muzichesku (Muzichenko), subsequently a well-known composer, choirmaster, teacher and public figure, worked as a music teacher at the vocal department.
The seminary was located in the rented house of the merchant Flora Zhuravlev, and after the death of his widow, the house with the estate occupied an entire quarter became a property of the clergy by testament. However, the donated house at the time of its transfer to the Chisinau diocese was “in utter desolation.”
As a result of the Russian-Turkish war of 1877-1878 counties of the south of Bessarabia were again returned to Russia. In the building of the theological seminary, a secular gymnasium opens, which in 1893 became the Izmail Theological College. In this status it was valid until 1918, when Bessarabia became part of the Kingdom of Romania.
In 1923, the Council of the Bishopric of Chetat-Albe-Ishmael converted the theological school into an eighth-class theological seminary. In the 1935-1936 school year, there were 176 students in it.
In 1949-1950 there was a primary school number 3, which in 1952 became school number 15.
Next, there was the interschool training and production technical plant.
From November 4, 1992 to this day, the Izmail Polytechnic Lyceum works here.