Address: Telegraphnaya Str., 76
Year of construction: 1954
The building of the former Officers Club of the Danube Military Flotilla has survived to our days in almost unchanged state. It was built on the territory of the former Hospital Square, which in the 19th century adjoined the hospital buildings in Izmail.
Initially, the club was located on Kholostyakova str. (on the current place of “Old Town” hotel), near the headquarters of the flotilla. Then it was moved to the building at the corner of Commercheskaya str. and Grecheskaya str. – later on that building housed a club of border guards.
In the early 50s by decision of the command of the USSR Navy the construction of the new building for the Officers Club began. In October 1952 the Izmail City Executive Committee decided to withdraw the military unit No. 60015 of a land plot within an entire city block bounded by Telegraphnaya, Dmitrievskaya, Avraamovskaya and Papanina streets. A land plot with a total area of over 8 thousand square meters fell under the building strip. At the same time, the military unit was obliged to demolish the houses that were located on it, to pay the cost of houses to private homeowners and to resettle residents and institutions located in the houses of the communal fund.
The construction was carried out by the specialized departmental organization “Voenmorstroy”. On December 24, 1954, the facility was put into operation by the state commission and from January 1, 1955, local authorities allowed its operation.
It is a vivid example of the architectural style of the “Stalinist Empire” or “Stalinist Classicism”, in which many public buildings were built in the USSR from 1945 to 1955. It is characterized by pomposity, an abundance of decorative details in the design of facades and interior interiors, often with elements of Soviet symbolism (coats of arms, banners, stars, sickles with hammers).
Here we see Corinthian columns supporting the pediment of the building, besides decorating the entire facade from Telegraphnaya Str. On the pediment are bas-reliefs reflecting the symbols of the navy of the Soviet era. Another detail that gives the building a formal look is the bas-reliefs of Russian and Soviet naval commanders and military leaders decorating the main facade at the second floor level – Alexander Nevsky, Dmitry Pozharsky, Kuzma Minin, Bogdan Khmelnitsky, Peter I, Alexander Suvorov, Fedor Ushakov, Dmitry Senyavin, Mikhail Lazarev, Pavel Nakhimov, Stepan Makarov.
The bas-reliefs were made by the famous Izmail sculptor Nedopaka, a member of the Union of sculptors of the USSR.
The same episode of the Great Patriotic War – the battle of the armored boats of the Danube Flotilla over the Imperial Bridge in Vienna – was previously depicted on the portal of the building by its own efforts, however, it was erased and a cross is located in its place.
It was a whole complex, which included a club building with an auditorium for 320 seats, a small lecture hall, classrooms and libraries, administrative and other services. A park was established in the territory adjacent to the club where the summer theater was located.
Here one cannot but mention the special atmosphere that reigned in this remarkable building. Not only events were held for the personnel of the flotilla, but also for the townspeople. The club hosted many celebrities, in particular, such artists like Wolf Messing, Nina Sazonova, Larisa Golubkina and many others. Here the club’s song and dance ensemble was based, other art groups worked. Here the townspeoples first started playing ping pong in the 50s. In this they were helped by sports instructors Yevgeny Romanovsky and Isaac Burda, the champion of Izmail.
After the war ended valuable old furniture, mirrors and decor items from Europe surged into Izmail. Their suppliers were employees of the Danube Flotilla, mainly officers. However, some of them peaked in the Club. Back in the 60-70s of the last century the interiors of the club were decorated with tables and craftsmanship with carvings and there was a billiard table with a marble countertop in the basement, which, as they say, was played by the Romanian king Mihai himself.
At the end of the twentieth century the club institution ceased to exist.
Since 1997 the “Stezhinka” private school has been operating here (at that time it was the second Christian school in Ukraine) and a community of evangelical Christians Baptists is also based here.