Address: Benderskaya str., 30
Year of construction: interwar period
Storeys – 1
The building on Benderskaya str., 30 was built in a classic architectural style as housing for the family of a wealthy city dweller, with basements and semi-basements.
According to archival documents of 1942-1944, the building belonged to the mayor Farkoshanu, who occupied not all rooms, but only 6 living rooms and 6 non-residential. The house also had a kitchen, 2 bathrooms, a maid’s room. In the building in the courtyard there was a laundry room, a storage room, a kitchen, a hall and a beer hall.
Before becoming the property of the Romanian state, the building belonged to a Jew by the name of Mordovich.
Before the land adjacent to the mansion and free from buildings, was much larger. Later, already in the Soviet period, this land was mostly occupied by outbuildings.
The mansion is built of solid Romanian brick with many embossed decorative details. They frame the windows, sandriks and cornices adorn corner parts of the building.
Sandrick – an architectural element, a small profiled cornice, a horizontal “shelf” above the platband of a window or doorway.
Sandrick’s utilitarian function is to drain rainwater from the opening; visual function – emphasizing the horizontal division of the facade.
A porch leading to the main entrance is simple and thorough at the same time. A forged metal grate is noteworthy from the side of Kommercheskaya Street. According to the style of execution it remotely resembles the fence of the City Garden. It is possible that this is a fragment of the fence of the former Greek Church, which was nearby until the 1970s – on the corner of today’s Commercial and Grecheskaya streets.
Old-timers say that a post office was located in this noticeable building during the years of the Romanian period. The sailors of the Red Banner Danube military flotilla recalled that after the expulsion of the German-Romanian invaders from the Danube the floors in the former post office were literally covered with Romanian lei.
At once after World War II the Party Committee was located here. Housekeeping services examined this building well and found several underground corridors in the basement.
In 1948 a music school was founded and located here, or rather, an evening music school for adults.
In 1987 it was reorganized into the Children’s Music School No. 2, which has been working here to this day.