Address: Tulchianovskaya str., 51 (formerly Kotovskogo str.)
Date of construction: late 19th century.
Storeys – 2
One of the most notable monuments of history and architecture of Izmail.
The mansion with a colorful courtyard outbuilding belonged to the Bessarabian landowner and ex-city head of Izmail Fyodor Tulchianov. Its predecessor, a one-story mansion, was built in the second quarter of the 19th century and its owner was the merchant Pavel Tulchianov, the father of Fyodor Tulchianov.
Fyodor Tulchianov was first elected by the mayor of Izmail in 1880. The high status of the owner caused the restructuring of the building. According to the project of the “city architect” V.Semechkin the completion of the second floor was done and the architectural appearance of the facade was seriously changed. By the way, the mentioned architect is the author of the project of another Izmail architectural monument – the market hall.
|Veniamin Semechkin – a famous Russian architect. He was born in 1843 in St. Petersburg in the family of Pavel Semechkin, St. Petersburg painter of the XIV class. He graduated of the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts (1860-1866, painting; 1868-1875, architecture), where he was awarded with a small silver medal according to the results of training and received the title of class artist of the III degree for the program project “Cafe-restaurant in the park.” From 1883 to 1892 he worked as an Izmail city architect. According to his projects the Izmail fire tower was built (1884, not survived to this day), the port chapel of St. Nicholas has been restored (1884, not survived to this day), the bell tower of the underground church in Kiliya has been built. The covered Market Hall is the only one of the buildings in Izmail created by his design that has been preserved. From 1892 to 1917 he worked in Penza as a junior engineer, junior architect, provincial architect. It is known about 34 architectural projects of his authorship, including the preserved magnificent building of the meat passage in Penza on the Moscowskaya Str., 85.|
The architecture of the Tulchianov mansion is characterized by clean lines, clarity and solemn majesty, as befits a building built in the style of late classicism. The entrance to it from the street is an example of a Tuscan warrant. The trunks of the columns, located on the right and left, have a large thickness, smooth, without flutes. In accordance with the canons of the order, the height of the columns corresponds to their seven lower diameters. Outwardly, it looks solid and impressive, symbolizing physical strength and strength.
The main emphasis in decorating the facade overlooking Mariinskaya Street (now – Suvorov Ave.) was made by the author of the project on the central part of the second floor. High semicircular in the upper part of the window and balcony doors are crowned with decorative locks, exquisite decorations are rusty walls and openwork wrought iron lattice of the balcony.
During the First World War, the headquarters of the defense of the river forces area on the Danube was located in the mansion. Later on, during the Romanian period a tribunal (court) placed here – trials over participants in the local underground communist movement were conducted. Later, a four-year female vocational and craft school functioned here, where girls were taught home economics skills.
In June 1940, with the establishment of Soviet power in our region, the headquarters of the 51st Perekopskaya division was located in the mansion and in 1941 – the headquarters of the city defense. In 1944, the hospital worked in the building. Since 1946, the Palace of Pioneers and Schoolchildren began to function here, which has been located here for four decades.
Back in the 1960s and 1970s, the glass of the front door was decorated with a monogram consisting of the intertwined initial letters of the name and surname of Fedor Tulchianov – “FT”. However, having successfully survived two world wars, then they disappeared without a trace.
There was another highlight in the decoration of the facade part, which also has not reached us today – two terracotta sculptures of the ancient Greek goddess Nika in the niches of the facade of the building from the side of the avenue. One of them crashed due to a strong earthquake of 1940, the second disappeared in an unknown direction already at the turn of the 80-90s of the last century. Today, in anticipation of better times, two plaster copies of lost statues made from preserved old photographs are stored in the collections of the Museum of the Danube.
In the postwar years, there was a music school in the house with the turret.
On September 17, 1990, the local history museum of the Danube is located here.