Address – 6 Suvorov Ave.
Year of construction – 1938.
Storeys – 3.
The building of the medical care facility, popularly called the “hospital”, is one of the few city buildings with a predominance of elements of Romanian functionalism as one of the trends of modernism. The buildings of the State Sanitary and Epidemiological Service on Kutuzova str., 85 and the former building of the cardiology department on Semenyuka str. were built in the same style. Functionalism dictated the color scheme of buildings of that time – gray, white or yellow. The hospital building is dominated with gray color (the color of unplastered concrete), there is no ornamentation and almost no unnecessary details that would be devoid of functional purpose.
Although the decoration of the building belongs to the modernist style, some elements of neo-Romanesque architecture are also observed, such as semicircular windows at the top and openings of the canopy above the main entrance.
The facade is asymmetric, it has six compositional axes, four of which relate to window openings, two doorways located on the left side in a canopy consisting of three arches.
This monument of local architecture was built in period when our region was part of the Kingdom of Romania. It is known that the engineer who supervised the construction of this building died here – it was crushed by a tank for heating water.
From 1938 to 1944 the territorial division of the Ministry of Social Policy of Romania, the social insurance fund, was located here. Similar social insurance buildings were built in Dej and Sighisoara:
Here, on the territory of the hospital, there is the oldest fountain of the city that exist till our days. It was laid during the construction of the building, but unfortunately, today it is not working.
After the liberation of the Danube River, the hospital of the Danube Flotilla was located here, and then, after its liquidation the hospital of the Izmail garrison placed in this building.
Today the inpatient medical care facility of the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine places here, but the building is still called by locals in one word as “Hospital”.