Address: Geroev Stalingrada str., 47
Date of construction: 1894
This building is included in the list of monuments of history and architecture of local importance.
It looks like a multi-story building as if rushing up even with only two floors. This is facilitated by the visual effect created by numerous vertical details on the main facade, huge windows and giant pediments. They all say that in front of us is a public building with the features of neoclassicism and constructivism with a Romanesque style.
Until the early 1890s in Izmail there was a four-year gymnasium for boys, which was located on the street. Mariinskaya (the Polytechnic Lyceum is now located in that building). However, as the city grew, there was a need to expand the institution.
In 1890, the Izmail Municipal Council decided to build a new building for the educational institution. For this purpose, a land plot was purchased from the wealthy Izmail residents of the Sandulovs. This deal cost the city authorities 10 thousand 600 rubles in silver.
The building was built in 1894, from that time the gymnasium was transformed into an eight-grade. The children of wealthy citizens, as well as a small number of children of peasants and artisans, were trained here. But for the children of the poorest citizens, the gymnasium, according to the circular from 1887, was unavailable. At this stage of the institution’s existence only incomplete secondary education could be obtained here. This problem was solved in 1903, when at the request of the leadership of Izmail higher authorities allowed the school to be transformed into a full male gymnasium. Two years later it receives the name of Alexander Suvorov.
The teaching was provided in the manner of all classical gymnasiums: education was humanitarian in nature. The main subjects were Latin and Greek. French and German were also studied. The exact sciences received less attention. Much attention was given to the study of the “Law of God”. The male gymnasium had its own orchestra, choir and pupils were taught dancing.
Until 1918 an average of 200 boys studied at the educational institution. Education here was paid – 40 rubles per year and parents’ expenses related to the purchase of special uniforms (a jacket for weekdays, a frock coat for holidays, a uniform overcoat). The idea of the shape of Izmail gymnasium students can be summarized from their photographs during physical exercises in the courtyard of the institution in 1910, stored in the funds of the Central State Archive of Film and Photo Documents of the Russian Federation.
During the Romanian period (1918-1940 and 1941-1944) a lyceum for boys was located in this building, and teaching was provided in Romanian. At the men’s gymnasium a balalaika orchestra worked (it was led by a graduate Boris Petko-Vulpe). The public’s favorite was the musical group “Vesolyye bezrabotnyye”, created by graduates of the gymnasium who had not yet decided on further studies or work. Concerts were given both in the gymnasium itself and on the stages of Izmail.
June 28, 1940, after the accession of Bessarabia to the Ukrainian SSR, study in the gymnasium became accessible to all children. In 1944, after the liberation of our region from the invaders, the gymnasium was reorganized into men’s secondary school No. 1. Study was provided both in a building onGeroev Stalingrada str., 47 and in the building on Suvorov Ave.
Since 1997 the Izmail Institute of Water Transport, a private university, works here.
Although the interior of the building has undergone many changes since 1894, the filigree staircase (a model of metal plastic) leading to the second floor and the fancy columns that support the arches of the building on the first still remind us about the historical past.