Address: Benderskaya str., 39
Date of construction: presumably 1 half of 19th century
The post office was supposedly built in 1813, when the buildings of prime necessity were constructed to organize the management of the city administration. According to available information, the building was originally built for postal needs and performed this function in the Romanian period, in the subsequent Soviet one and even today it is owned by Ukrposhta.
Under the mayor Sergei Tuchkov the post office was considered the very center of the city – a kind of “zero kilometer”, from which the distances to other settlements were counted.
There is an underground passage under the building (watch the video):
Almost at once after the release of Izmail durind World War, the post office reopened on September 4, 1944. Having discharged from the hospital after being wounded Aron Polishchuk took it on his own. He went to the airport for mail and delivered it himself, finding the addressees even without the addresses indicated on the correspondence. He worked here at the main post office until 1984.
Last time the building was used as a branch of the bank “UkrSibbank”. Today it is empty.