Address: Kommercheskaya str., 18 (former Lenina Street)
Build date: 1913
Outwardly, the building stands out a little from the background of other house buildings located in this area of the city. However, the main entrance to the building immediately strikes the eye, it indicates the date of its construction. An old wrought iron canopy hangs over the front door. On it you can clearly see the date “1913” and the letter “K”, obviously indicating the name of the first owners. However, their name at the moment could not be found.
A reminder of the events of the war period on the building until recently could be found literally around the corner – on the part of it that faces Kutuzova Street. There was a memorial plaque telling about the tragic page in the history of our city:
“In August 1941, between the streets of Dzerzhinskaya, Kutuzova, June 28 and Lenina the Nazi invaders organized a Jewish ghetto. Most of the prisoners were driven from Izmail to the Transnistrian death camps in October 1941. “
Unfortunately, due to the repair of the building the memorial plaque was removed at the request of the residents. However, this information tells us that this building was included in the boundaries of the mentioned ghetto.
In 1943, Grigory Stoyanov, a well-known teacher of school No. 1, bought this house for his eldest daughter. Before the October Revolution, he graduated from the Izmail men’s gymnasium. The building belongs to the Stoyanov family to this day.