Address: 44 Suvorov Ave.
Period of construction: 2nd half of 19th century
Presumably, this is the last building in Izmail, where Romanian Freemasons met before the advent of the Russian Empire.
It is known that in February 1871 the last Izmail Masonic lodge was created, which, according to some sources, was called the “Renaissance of the Proselite East” and consisted of about 40 members, mainly residents of Izmail and Bolgrad. Its activities were considered as legal during the period when Izmail was a part of the United Principality of Wallachia and Moldavia.
One theory is that for some time members of the lodge gathered in the building between the current Shevchenko Palace of Culture and the hotel “Izmail”. It can be assumed with high probability
that this “house with benches” on 44 Suvorov Ave is the one. It was owned by Paskalovich brothers. One of them worked as postmaster in Izmail and the second – as a border guard officer.
The meetings in the house continued until the day when one of the members of the lodge decided to “decorate” the building with Masonic symbols. After that the Paskalovich brothers stopped providing their house to the Masons and reformatted it into a profitable tavern.
the Masonic lodge ceased to exist with the return of Izmail to the Russian Empire where secret societies were prohibited.
After World War II, Ivan Poluboyanov, a deaf-mute, settled in the house. He very hospitably hosted people whom Mother Nature had also been deprived of by hearing. People with hearing disabilities are accustomed to this place, so in 1956 the Izmail club of Izmail Deaf community was formed.
With the relocation of Izmail Deaf community to another place, this house was subsequently leased to catering establishments.