Address: Belgorod-Dnestrovskaya Str., 1
Year Built: 1830
According to reports this mansion, classified as a monument of urban planning and architecture of local importance, was built in 1830 – in the year of the appointment of Sergei Tuchkov as mayor of Izmail.
However, today the facade of the old mansion has almost lost the signs of architecture of city buildings of the century before last.
The building was constructed specifically for the customs service.
Customs activities have led to rapid growth in trade. Two fairs were held in Izmail – Voznesenskaya (May 27) and Pokrovskaya (October 1). Each of them took 15 days and gathered about 12 thousand people!
In 1878 (according to other sources – in 1883), a border guard brigade was stationed in this quarter, whose management was also supervised by customs.
In all the years of the existence of the Russian Empire Russian customs services were located here.
In 1891 the mayor Fyodor Tulchianov decided to pave the street leading to the customs with cobblestone and provide the lighting at the same time.
In the late 1940s – early 1950s the port administration was housed here, in a former customs building.
In 1984 on the day of the 40th anniversary of the liberation of the city from the Nazi invaders the museum of the Ukrainian Danube Shipping Company opened here. It worked in this building until 1998.
During these years the facade and interior were repaired, a well-groomed courtyard with neatly trimmed bushes, steep steps leading to the main entrance. In the same years, an observation deck with stunning views of the Danube was equipped on the roof of the building.
But in 1998 the museum was transferred to the central administrative building of the shipping company, and the old mansion was put up for sale and now it’s in the private hands.
However, the new owner left the country and the building had lost a lean owner’s hand for about two decades, so it gradually deteriorated from the time and invasions of local vandals.
If the building on this site really appeared almost 200 years ago, then for its long history it has probably been rebuilt and modified more than once. Anyway it deserves a respectful and careful attitude to itself, since it is a part of our history.