Address: 1st port loading area
Year Built – 1909
Number of storeys – 2 + 1.
On the territory of the first cargo area of the Izmail port, far from the prying eyes of most citizens, one of the most beautiful buildings in Izmail places. It was included in the “Code of monuments of history and culture of the peoples of the USSR” and today it is known as harbourmaster office.
The building was constructed for the Russian Danube Shipping Company. This state-owned enterprise was created in 1903 and one of its agencies operated in Izmail. However, a suitable premises for work had to wait until 1909.
The architect Lev Prokopovich prepared the project of the building, the Izmail municipal council allocated a land on the territory of the Danube embankment (the current territory of the first loading area of the Izmail port) on a free basis .
Lev Prokopovich – diocesan architect. He was born February 18, 1862 in Odessa.
In Odessa, he is known for designing and reconstructing of many objects – the Mavrokordato church, the church of Elijah the Prophet, the St. Elias Monastery, the Church of St. Adrian and Natalia at the School of the Blind on Frantcuzskiy Boulevard, Odessa Aries Cathedral, St. Stephen’s Cathedral (blown up), as well as the former printing house of Efim Fesenko and others. For the latter, two apartment buildings were also built on Uteshnaya, 6 and 8, using its uncharacteristic style features of neo-Gothic architecture. He is also the author of the project of the church in the name of St. Equal-to-the-Apostles Prince Vladimir in Matiasov village (Berezansky district of the Nikolaev region.
Local merchant K. Ahrap acted as a contractor, proposing the construction of cheaper Odessa bricks and winning the competition with 6 participants. In early 1909 the director of the Russian Danube Shipping Company Nikolai Cherkasov signed a construction contract and on May 9 of the same year it was laid. On October 24 (November 6, according to the new calendar) in 1909 the competent commission allowed the expluatiation of the agency building. It was built in two floors, or even three with the turrets above the main entrance. Thereby it became almost the highest in Izmail at that time, because there were no three-story buildings in the city at the beginning of the 20th century.
The architecture of house building unimaginably combined in itself, on the one hand, rigor and functionality, but on the other, a kind of dandyness, which was given to the building by the decorative turrets symmetrically crowning the building to the left and right of the main entrance and two balconies with metal bars.
On January 26, 1918, on the basis of a decree of the Council of People’s Commissars of Soviet Russia “About the Nationalization of the Merchant Fleet,” the property of the shipping company, including this building, was declared as a state property. However, in the Romanian period the agency of the Romanian river navigation was located here.
With the creation of the Soviet Danube State Shipping Company in 1944 the dispatch office of the Izmail port was placed here, and today, as already mentioned, it is occupied by the captain of the port of Izmail.
At the beginning of the 21st century, the building was restored by the Izmail company “ARS”.