Address: Semenyuka str., 61
Period of build: 1914
In 1914 a diesel power station was built here on the former Fabrichnaya Street. Since its capacity was not enough to fully supply the city, electricity was supplied to the houses only in the evening time. One of the first heads of the power plant was Nikolai Chilingir.
With the coming Romanian power in 1929, the modernization of the station began under the leadership of the deputy mayor Mikhail Kuleshov. With the installation of a powerful four-cylinder German diesel engine electricity became enough for the city coverage during all the day.
In August 1944 the building could have disappeared – when the Nazi invaders retreated they mined the power station, but could not blow it up. Nikolai Dolzhenko, station’s worker used the the skills he get during serving in artillery in the early 1930s and managed to demine the station, as the retreating Romanian commandant of the city asked him to. Subsequently, Nikolai was sent to concentration camp for 25 years and on his return he worked at the Izmail Canning Plant – then he talked about the way the station was mined (it had to explode when starting up and applying power to the detonators), as well as should use the force to get the keys from Romanian guard.
With the end of the war new factories, enterprises and institutions appeared in the city. For some time the old bakery on Khotinskaya str. was provided with energy from this plant, but generally the power of the plant was not enough again for the need of the city. In this regard in 1947 the Izmail Sea Port built its own diesel power station (worked until 1970) at the intersection of Parokhodna Str. and Kishinevskaya Str., and the city built a new thermal power station in 1952.
With the closure of the old power station autodepot 5 placed on its territory for some time, now there is a car service station.