Address: Papanina str., 42
Date of construction: 1931
The building, which today houses the chambers of His Grace Agathangel, Metropolitan of Odessa and Izmail, adjoins the Holy Constantine and Helena Monastery.
It is claimed that there was a wooden church in honor of the Holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Prince Vladimir on the site of the current church of St. Constantine and Helena back in the 19th century, which later burned down.
The first mention of the episcopal house appears during the period when the region was part of the Principality of Moldova under the protectorate of the Ottoman Empire – from 1856 to 1878. Thus, it is said that in 1865 a house with church money was bought by the Reverend Melchizedek Stefanescu from the wife of the Russian colonel Neumeer for the bishopric. A portion of the land was subsequently purchased to the courtyard and buildings were completed. It contained the Most Reverend Melchizedek himself and the Consistory. Everything that has been preserved from the house itself and other buildings now adjoins the Holy Constantine and Helena Monastery.
Bishop Melchizedek (Mikhail Stefanescu) headed the Lower Danube diocese from 1864 to 1878. The episcopal residence was located in Izmail and was subordinate to the Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church. Church buildings were also in her possession during the Romanian period in the 20th century – from 1918 to 1940 and from 1941 to 1944
Today, the former episcopal house has not so much signs of the past, because it has been repaired several time. As a result, the facade decor has acquired modern metal-plastic windows, wrought-iron grills and a porch with modern railings. Only the shape of the columns reminds of the true age of the building.