Address: Shevchenko str., 9
Year of construction: 1898
In the 60-s of 19 century in the large city cemetery Tulchianov brothers, the merchants, built a chapel over the family crypt, which was then consecrated to the church of St. Martyr Theodore Tiron. There in 1864 the priests of the Holy Protection Cathedral church began to conduct the church service.
The church was very small and Archpriest Joseph Glizyan, rector of the Holy Protection Cathedral, sent a petition to the Chisinau Spiritual Consistory regarding the construction of a new church in the cemetery. After several refusals the consistory by decision of February 17, 1883, approved by Archbishop Sergius, allowed the construction of a stone church with the name “Church of the Holy Myrrhbearing Women”. The diocesan architect Seracinsky submitted a blueprint and cost estimate of the construction of a new church.
Seracinsky Mikhail Stepanovich (1846-1916). Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin in Soroca (Moldova), the Transfiguration Cathedral in Chisinau are among his other projects.
Like most churches, it was built on donations from city residents, which amounted to 26,431 rubley 92 kopeek. Especially the Izmail merchants Ivan Kirillov and Timofei Avraamov were noted among them who gave money for the construction.
The construction was completed after 14 years. In June 1897, Archpriest Simeon Topalov reported to the Chisinau Consistory about the completion of construction. The provincial architect approved the new building. October 5, 1897 it was consecrated by Archpriest Simeon Topalov, the Dean of the 1st district of Izmail County. So, the Church of the Holy Myrrhbearing Women appeared.
In 1964, a warehouse was located in the church.
Since 1989, the church has been returned to believers. During a quarter century of barbaric attitude to the shrine, only walls remained: neither church utensils, nor bells. Rector Archpriest John took the lead in rebuilding the church with the help of donations. Renowned throughout the former Soviet Union artist Andrei Ivanovich Burbela and his sons completed the painting, the temple was restored and the church conducts its services to this day.