Address: Shkolnaya Str., 57
Year of construction – not later than 2 half of the 19th century
Storeys – 2
On the corner of Suvorov Avenue and Shkolnaya Street the building of secondary school No. 1 named after Alexander Suvorov places. However, from an architectural point of view, the old part of the complex of buildings with an entrance from Dmitrievskaya str. can be interesting.
This is a striking example of the architecture of the late XIX – early XX centuries, representing the “neoclassicism” style that was popular in those years: richly decorated pediments, windows with embossed frames and locks in the upper part, rustics, columns at the now-closed main entrance, which support the balcony, and above on both sides are niches with fancy bowls at the bottom. Unfortunately, semicircular pediments of the beginning of the twentieth century have not survived to our time.
Initially, the building was constructed as a hotel and was owned by the merchant M. Karieri. Due to the fact that the 4-year school gymnasium for 68 students, which opened in the building of the current lyceum in 1880 began to feel a lack of premises, it was decided to place it here – on the corner of the former Alexandrovskaya Str. (now – Suvorova Ave.) and Verkhne-Dmitrievskaya Str. (now – Shkolnaya)
As it turned out, this building was also a little adapted for the normal educational process of the gymnasium. Three dark rooms on the ground floor were used as changing rooms for girls and other four rooms were occupied by the apartment of the head of the gymnasium. There were 8 classrooms, a physics room, a teacher’s room and 2 dark corridors on the second floor.
When in 1892 the number of students reached 177 people the Izmail municipal council, headed by the mayor I. Zakhariadi, sent an appeal to the Bessarabian governor to allocate funds for the construction of a new, more spacious building for the female gymnasium – after 9 years, the female gymnasium will move to the current building of school No. 2.
Here in 1940 Izmail Men’s Secondary School No. 1 was formed, which, after liberation of Izmail during World War resumed its work on October 1, 1944. However, with the advent of Soviet power it was first located in the building of the former male gymnasium (now the building of the Izmail Institute of Water Transport on the Heroev Stalingrada Str.) and in 1944-1945 classes were held in the premises of the female gymnasium (now – school № 2).
During the years of the existence of the Izmail Oblast (1940, 1944-1954) the regional party committee and the regional executive committee were located here. Only in the mid-1950s one of the buildings of the current school No. 1 with the main entrance from Dmitrievskaya str. placed here. There were cast-iron siege guns at the portico with two columns – they are at the monument to A.Suvorov now.
From the story of one of the residents during the repair between the first and second floor the workers found a clay pot with gold.