Address: 2 Suvorov Ave.
Year of construction: late XIX – early XX centuries.
Today Bessarabia Hotel is placed in this building that is located in the central part of the city. But many citizens still remember it as the former administrative building of the Soviet and then the Ukrainian Danube Shipping Company.
However, its history, according to museum workers, begins even before the First World War. At the beginning of the 2nd century the Russian government opened a school for boys here. In the Romanian period the school continued to work but already as a technical one and named after Ion Bratianu.
Ion Constantin Brătianu is one of the main political figures of the 19th century in Romania. Prime Minister of the United Principality of Moldova and Wallachia (1876-1881), Prime Minister of Romania (1881-1888).
Architectural features can also indirectly indicate at the time of construction: crumbling plaster on the facade of the building exposes solid brickwork – most likely the building was not originally plastered.
The appearance of the walls without plaster recalls the similarity of this old house-building with other “skyscrapers” of the above period – the buildings of the city government, male and female gymnasiums. The wing of the building to the Danube was built from a “koteletz” (sawn limestone stone block), as well as the building of the Inter-voyage seafarers house or gas supply office.
After the Great Patriotic War the building was transferred to accommodate a residential building and it remained in this status for about 10 years.
With the formation of the Soviet Danube Shipping Company its administration was located here and hence the management of the shipping company in its best years. The old walls remember many illustrious Danube sailors. The legendary shipping managers Luke Kapikrayan and Viktor Pilipenko are among them.
In the late 90s the building was transferred to the Ukrtelecom on account of debt repayment for the telephone services. During this period it was empty and slowly being’ destroyed, but it was fortunately transferred to private hands, renovated and now the well-maintained Bessarabia Hotel is located here.