Address: Benderskaya str., 41
Year of construction: 1928
Storeys – 1
In the center of Izmail, on the corner of Benderskaya and Sadovaya streets, stands a magnificent building that has long attracted the attention of Izmail residents with the sophistication of its architecture and some kind of inner nobility. At first it was most likely residential housing construction.
It is a monument of urban planning and local architecture. According to the list of similar objects in the Odessa region it was built in 1928. However, on the plan of the city of 1908, the urban development quarter at number 220 appears on this site. Although it is quite possible that in the beginning of the 20th century there was a predecessor building on this place that did not survive.
On the one hand, this building-monument is thoroughly and quite functional. This is indicated by solid brickwork under the lining, which until today has not undergone any serious damage. It may well indicate the Romanian period in the history of our city – so in those years it was popular to build the buildings of wealthy citizens in such way. On the other hand, a lot of attention in the exterior is paid to the decor, which does not perform any utilitarian functions, but serves as a “cosmetic addition”.
Here are the half-columns that adorn the corner parts of the building; here are the elaborate gables richly decorated with ribbon friezes; the windows are framed by numerous capitals and flutes; five concrete decorative balls flaunt on the gables.
If you look closely at the asphalt to the right of the building, you can see cracks across the sidewalk. They outline the entrance to the dungeon – it’s the result of the uneven thickness of the earth on the vibration of the vehicle. The last owner of the building having walked 50 meters along it found a rather deep hole (possibly a well). For security reasons, the entrance to the dungeon was closed.
In our time, the last known object at this address was the guest house of the “Teknor” company.