Address: Benderskaya str., 10
Date of construction: 1900 (according to the PUE “Zhilservice” information)
In 1938, when Izmail was part of the Kingdom of Romania, a tennis club and court appeared in the city. The club building was solid, beautifully architecturally designed, with a front door, and located now here on former Shkolnaya str. (now Benderskaya str.), 10. The tennis court was located in the park on the present Sadovaya street.
Then, in 1940 – the first half of 1941, the headquarters of the 96th separate air squadron of the Danube Flotilla (commander – Captain A.Korobitsyn) was located in this building. June 22, 1941, on the day when the invaders attacked our city squadron pilots shot down five enemy aircraft over Izmail.
The enemy knew from his agents where military institutions are located in our city, regularly fired and bombed them. During one of the enemy air raids, the bomb hit the eastern part of the squadron headquarters building. Now on the site of the destroyed part of the building is a new extension. There is no longer a front door with a massive porch.
After the war, the building also belonged to the Danube Military Flotilla. Near, on the territory of the “Cheburashka” kindergarten the summer cinema of Danube Flotilla was located behind a high brick fence. It adjoined the headquarters building.
After the disbandment of the Danube Flotilla, residential apartments were equipped in the headquarters building.